Sunday, October 7, 2007

World Toy Camera Day/Spiral Jetty Outing

 

Hi everyone! World Toy Camera Day on October 20 is fast approaching and I just wanted to let you all know what's up. We talked earlier about carpooling out to the Spiral Jetty but we hadn't settled on a time. Since we last talked, my husband and I have volunteered to host a family party at our home that night so I have to be home no later than 4 so I can get to cookin'.

I mentioned earlier that I am a morning person, so for those of you who are too, I'd like to meet at Einstein's on Harrison in Ogden by Weber State at 8 AM (!). We can grab breakfast and be on the road shortly thereafter. (EDIT: Meeting time was changed from 7 to 8.)

You are, of course, more than welcome to drive yourself up to the Jetty at any time that day, because for one, it's public domain and you can do whatever you want; and for two, I'm planning on being there till midafternoon so just look for the silver Subaru with two tall kayak racks. You can't miss it. There's a lot to see and shoot there, so please come at whatever time is convenient for you. I know 8 is early on a Saturday, especially if you have to drive from the SLC area, so I apologize for that.

I've been told for years that 4WD vehicles with high clearance are required on the road but I've taken my Outback out there with no trouble. There are lots of boulders and ruts, but it's completely passable. Wear shoes you don't care about, bring a drink or two and go to the bathroom at the Golden Spike visitor center. The Jetty is in the middle of nowhere! And according to USGS water data, the Jetty is not under water. Yippee!

Here are some links about the Jetty, including directions:

SpiralJetty.org
Geosights: Spiral Jetty
Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty
The Spiral Jetty
USGS Water Data

Ok. Let me know if you plan on coming and if you plan on meeting at Einstein's. I hope you'll all at least plan on coming out at some point. It's World Toy Camera Day! Perhaps in November we could have a "Show off your Spiral Jetty Photos/WTCD/Holiday" get-together and then take a December hiatus.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: